Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Getting phone service from Comcast. (AAAAAHHHH!!!!)

I have not given up on this blog, but we just had a baby and I really have no free time that I don't use for sleep.

I have had the service for about 6 weeks and I am in the middle of my second outage (both the phone and their voice mail service are out). This outage is somewhat acceptable because we did have a major thunderstorm last night and the cable and internet are out also. My biggest complaint is that when I called them to have my calls forwarded to my cell they told me I could only do that from my home phone. The conversation went down hill from there. When I asked to speak to a supervisor he told me that there where none available and he needed to fill out a form to have one call me back. When he didn't ask me for a phone number to call me at I asked him what number are they going to call me at and he told me they would call on my home phone number. When I reminded him that I didn't have a phone he said ok, but still didn't ask me for a phone number. On his form he need a reason for the call and I told him I wanted to discuss the call forwarding and his response was they won't be able to help you, but he was sure they would have it in a couple of years, because they have smart people in ivory towers working on this (as apposed to the idiots they have answering the phones).

My quick review

Sound quality – It is the same as Verizon

Reliability - It is below Verizon (my other outage was an unexplained 1 hour outage). To be fair I have only had it for a short time so this might be an aberration and over the years I have had outages with Verizon.

Service – It is about the same as Verizon

Features - They are about the same a Verizon (Verizon does allow you to call forward from outside your home phone), but significantly below other cable companies and Vonage. The web site sucks, you can only check voice mails and see delayed call history. There is no ability to change your settings. You can't shut off your voice mail if you use your own answering machine. My answering machine does pick up before their voice mail, but in cases where someone would have gotten a busy signal in the past it goes to voice mail. You can't have your voice mails forwarded to an email, but you can have a notification sent. Vonage even has a feature to automatically forward your calls if they can't communicate to the hardware in your house. Some of the other companies have a feature where you can have your calls ring simultaneously on your cell, home and work and the call goes to who ever answers it first.

Price - It is cheaper then Verizon, but more expensive then other cable companies and Vonage.

Bottom line- I would not recommend it, but I will probably stick it out a little longer.

No comments: